Tuesday 19 April 2011

A Day in the life of....Owen Hargreaves...Part 1

After the success of the 24-hour diaries of Manchester United stars Paul Scholes and Rio Ferdinand , we decided to find someone else within the United camp to follow.
There were the obvious choices like- Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs and Bebe, to name but a few, but we felt once again we needed to connect the audience to the player.
Owen Hargreaves is on incapacity benefit due to his ongoing injury problems, he receives job seekers allowance as a result of this. 98.7% of the UK population is on long term sick leave, so we felt that he was ideal at finding a common link between fan and professional.
Due to injuries, Hargreaves has played just one game in 22 years since joining them back in 1989. So We at SportsSTAR thought to ourselves-‘What does he actually do with himself when he is injured?’ ‘What does he do to justify £60k a week?’ He must have a role within the club.
So this week we decided to hand over the pen and paper to Hargreaves. United Physio- Eric Cantona expects Hargreaves to be back in ‘light training’ by the end of the week…..

07:00- My alarm went off, it made me jump out of my skin and as a result I pulled a muscle in my left arm.  I phoned Cantona and he said there would be a possibility that my return could suffer a slight set back.
09:00- As I stepped out of the car at the Carrington training ground, I slipped on some ice and ruptured my left buttock cheek. I phoned Cantona and he said there is a possibility that my return could suffer a slight set back.
09:30- As I am on long term sick leave, Sir Alex has assigned me certain duties around the ground. Today I made a guest appearance at the on-site middle school. I was asked to attend the end-of-term party- dressed as a clown. This started at 10:00; I brought my clown outfit at Debenhams. It is a very good fit to be honest.
10:00- One of the kids kicked me on the shin because “I apparently scared him.” I phoned Cantona and he said there is a possibility that my return could suffer a slight set back.
11:00- I had to provide water for ‘the others’- as I call them. The others being the players who play every week. Sometimes I feel as though there is a ‘them and me’ divide, but I don’t let that effect me.  Wazza threw his bottle back at me, complaining the temperature of the water was not cold enough. The bottle hit my head and caused a nasty gash. I didn’t’ feel the need to ring Cantona on this occasion. They were all laughing at me.
12:00- I had lunch in the canteen, all of the others were on a big table, there is never enough room for me. So I sat on my own in my car, listening to the new JLS album.
13:00- During the Afternoon, Sir Alex requested that I carry out some housekeeping around the complex. I had to wash, tumble dry and iron everybody’s kit from which they wore in the morning. I felt as though this was a tremendous change from the norm. Usually I have to sweep up all of the leaves from the training areas but this time I was in charge of washing. I felt as though I was needed again.
15:00- Sir Alex was taking one of the set piece drills with the others, so he requested that I tidy up his office and buffer up his new shoes. I thought this showed incredible sensitivity towards me. As a result of this I placed a thank you note on his desk for him to read when he got back.
16:00- The others all started to pack up and shower. I always have to carry the kit bags, ball bags, and Rio’s I-pod back into the changing areas. I don’t mind. It keeps my mind occupied.
19:00- My wife cooked dinner, it was sublime. Wow what a tough day that was.
21:00- As I set my alarm for the next day, I sprained my left wrist, it was unbearably painful. I phoned Cantona and he said there would be a possibility that my return could suffer a slight set back…
TO BE CONTINUED……

No comments:

Post a Comment